Hello my much neglected blog!
I have been a bit naughty and been eating out quite often for the past month.
I miss cooking, I really do. A huge part of me was disappearing because I had not had the pleasure to cook.
Last weekend I had a family dinner and one of my aunty made this super soft cake and begged her for the recipe!
I discovered later on it was a recipe for Chiffon cake.
5 egg yolks
20g Caster sugar
1 Tbs vanilla essence
pinch of salt
120ml Milk, infused with two earl grey tea bags and allow to cool
100g cake flour (I bought mine from a chinese grocery story)
1 tsp baking powder
3 Tbs Rice bran or vegetable oil
5 egg whites
½ tsp cream of tartar
50g caster sugar
Preheat oven to 160 degrees
Prepare baking tin with a spray of oil around.
1) Beat egg yolks, sugar, salt and vanilla with an electric beater on low.
2) Add in milk
3) Sift through flour and baking powder in 3 batches, using a hand whisk till no more clumps
4) add oil and whisk till combined.
5) In bowl 2: Beat egg whites till soft peaks form with electric beater on medium
6) add in cream of tartar and beat.
7) Add sugar in 3 batches and beat on high until stiff.
8) Fold egg whites to egg yolk mixture, keeping it light and airy.
9) Pour into tins and bake for 30-40mins, until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
I trimmed the cake and divided into two. Then spread a layer of apricot jam on one half and placed the second half on top, like a sandwich.
Enjoy it with a nice cup of Early Grey tea!!